Monday 28 March 2011

Leeds to Bolton Abbey

24th March

Much to my surprise Bolton Abbey isn't actually in Bolton. This was quite fortunate as I was in Yorkshire. I wouldn't have fancied riding over to Lancashire and back.

Meeting Bod at Leeds train station we jumped in the car and drove out to Headingley to start the ride. A quick stop at The Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op to pick up a pair of cycling gloves and we set off.

Bod had planned a route utilising the back roads so we could enjoy the scenery and absence of traffic. As we moved out of the suburbs we began to feel a bit of a Deliverance vibe. We stopped to take a picture of one of the locals.

A Leeds local playing his Banjo for us
We decided to keep moving for fear of being made to squeal like a pig.

Otley was quite pleasant although the traffic slowed us down somewhat. We passed over a pretty bridge which reminded me of the Cotswolds

We had already warmed up by this point and I was beginning to be concerned by the amount of climbing we would be doing over the course of the day. Being a southerner (relatively speaking) and mainly road riding in Cheshire my legs were beginning to feel the burn. I decided to embrace Rule 6. This done I felt a weight lifted and and hit a high cadence to push on to Ilkley. The roads were quiet and the views were stunning. It felt like we were on holiday and we both began to enjoy liberation and excitement of riding on new (to us) roads. Simple pleasures.

Coming through Ilkley we were soon climbing again. A 1 in 5 climb beckoned. The road was beautifully smooth but very steep. My lungs and legs were burning. My eyes were blurred with the effort in the sun. As I looked at the middle third of the climb I thought my drink had been spiked. Why is there a statue of Christ, Mary and Mary Magdalene halfway up a hill, nowhere near a church?
Jesus and The Mary Chain?
After a brief rest we went onwards and upwards to Ilkely Moor and I was indeed Baht' at.

At the summit I slowed to wait for Bod who was sweating like Paul Gadd at a playgroup.

Come on Bod, Catch up!
Over the moor we went and then hit the descent. Flippin 'eck it was steep, twisty and fast. After riding through a little slurry we were on the main road. A quick right and more climbing, up the main road to Staithwaite. More climbing...and some sheep. Bod let out a primal scream and curiously seemed elated to see the lambs.
Mint Sauce?
I hurried him on for fear of worrying the livestock. After a breathtaking descent we were faced with another choice...
Desolation Valley? No Thanks.
I think we chose wisely.

We had passed a cobbled ford which is unnerving to say the least on skinny tyres.
 We were now at Bolton Abbey and a 'comfort stop' was needed after a couple of hours in the saddle. It was much prettier than I'd pictured and so we stopped to take a couple of snaps.


We headed over to the abbey and had a mooch around the graveyard. I found Fred Truemans' gravestone, which was unexpected.


A nosebag was long overdue so we sought out some food and a rest for tired legs.

The resting period was over and we needed to get back to the car in Leeds. We opted for the most direct route which was via the main road back to Headingley. Legs were tired at this point. As we plugged away at the never ending hill (about 6 miles of climbing) we began a more gentle pace. Double file up the road, chatting about the ride on the way. Soon back at Ilkey we could almost taste the end. 14 miles fell away fairly quickly but taking its' toll on the knees. The car was a welcome site. Bikes were packed into the car and the lure of Bretts Fish & Chips beckoned.

43.85 miles done and just Lou to pick up before we headed home.

3 comments:

  1. Now, my memory may not be brilliant but I am pretty sure it was me urging you on from scaring the lambs into head butting the metal gate!

    I can still feel the sense of utter dread as I saw the sign for a ford whilst trying, and failing, to slow my descent down one of those hills :-S

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no recollection of that of which you speak ;-)

    ReplyDelete